How to Choose an Accredited Nursing Training Program near Old Lyme Connecticut
Searching for the right nursing college near Old Lyme CT may seem like a complicated endeavor, especially if you have no idea what to look for in a good degree program. As you may already understand, in order to practice as a registered nurse, you must acquire the proper education and training in order to become licensed. So it is essential that you study and assess the qualifications of each school you are considering before enrolling in your ultimate selection. The fact is, too many future students base their selection entirely on the cost of tuition and the proximity of the school. Deciding on the least expensive school or the one that is nearest to your home is probably not the most reliable way to select a nursing program. There are several essential additional considerations to investigate before you decide where to enroll in classes. But before we examine that checklist, let’s first look at the nursing degree alternatives that are offered together with what the roles of nurses are in our medical system.
Request Free Information on Nursing Schools Below
Nursing Degrees Available
There is more than one degree option offered to become a nurse. And to become a Registered Nurse (RN), a student must attend an accredited school and program. A nursing student can earn a qualifying degree in just 2 years, or continue on to obtain a graduate degree for a total of 6 years. Following are some short explanations of the nursing degrees that are offered to aspiring students in the Old Lyme CT area.
- Associates Degree. The Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) is typically a 2 year program offered by community colleges. It preps graduates for an entry level job in nursing in medical centers such as hospitals, clinics or nursing homes. Many utilize the ADN as an entry into nursing and later earn a higher degree.
- Bachelor’s Degree. The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) provides more comprehensive training than the ADN. It is typically a four year program offered at colleges and universities. Licensed RNs may be allowed to complete an accelerated program based on their previous training or degree and professional experience (RN to BSN). Those applying to the program might desire to progress to a clinical or administrative position, or be more competitive in the job market.
- Master’s Degree. The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) is normally a two year program after attaining the BSN. The MSN program provides specialization training, for example to become a nurse practitioner or concentrate on administration, management or teaching.
Once a graduating student has received one of the above degrees, she or he must pass the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) so as to become licensed. Various other requirements for licensing can vary from state to state, so don’t forget to check with the Connecticut board of nursing for any state requirements.
Why Choose the Nursing Profession?
Nurses are an important component of a Old Lyme CT medical team, and for a number of patients, their primary care providers. A nursing career opens doors to many opportunities, including research, health care education and specialty areas of practice. Nurses enter the profession for many reasons, the most meaningful are its personal and practical rewards. Nurses provide personal, one-on-one care to patients. Many individuals in a hospital or home care setting have more contact with nurses than with doctors. Nurses often choose the profession out of a passion to tend to the needs of patients, including in cases of short-term treatment of illness and extended care of chronic conditions. This human side of the medical profession, rather than the research or analytical related facets, is attractive to many who decide to enter into a nursing career. Nurses have a wide range of applicable skills and can choose from a number of work settings, including nursing homes, physician’s offices, medical clinics, community centers and hospitals. Also, nurses can advance into a number of specialties, including addictions, critical care, genetics and neonatology. While many nurses provide direct patient care, others choose to be teachers, policy consultants or pharmaceutical representatives.
Registered Nurse Job Activities
Registered nurses are the most significant occupation in the medical delivery system. RNs practice in numerous different medical environments, such as Old Lyme CT hospitals, private practices, outpatient clinics, nursing homes and even schools. Their basic function is to support doctors in the care of their patients. However, the particular duties of a registered nurse will depend on their job or specialization as well as where they work. A few of the functions of an RN may include:
- Providing medications
- Observing patients
- Conducting physical examinations
- Managing care
- Supervising LPNs, LVNs and nurse aides
- Informing patients and their families
- Taking care of health records and charts
Nurses with a more advanced degree may have more high level job duties and responsibilities. Nurse practitioners (NP), for example, must hold a Master’s Degree and normally work more independently than their RN counterparts. They can provide primary or specialty care services, prescribe medications, and diagnose and treat common illnesses or injuries.
Nursing Online Schools
Enrolling in nursing colleges online is emerging as a more in demand way to get instruction and acquire a nursing degree. Some schools will require attendance on campus for part of the training, and almost all programs require a certain number of clinical rotation hours performed in a local healthcare center. But since the balance of the training can be accessed online, this method may be a more convenient approach to finding the free time to attend classes for many Old Lyme CT students. Concerning tuition, many online degree programs are less costly than other on campus choices. Even supplemental expenses such as for commuting and study materials can be minimized, helping to make education more easily affordable. And many online programs are accredited by organizations like the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) for BSN and MSN degrees. And so if your job and family commitments have left you with little time to work toward your academic goals, it could be that an online nursing program will make it more convenient to fit a degree into your busy schedule.
Questions to Ask Nursing Schools
Once you have chosen which nursing degree to pursue, along with if to attend your classes on campus near Old Lyme CT or on the internet, you can use the following guidelines to begin narrowing down your options. As you no doubt are aware, there are many nursing schools and colleges throughout Connecticut and the United States. So it is necessary to lower the number of schools to select from so that you will have a workable list. As we already pointed out, the location of the school along with the cost of tuition are probably going to be the initial two points that you will consider. But as we also emphasized, they should not be your only qualifiers. So prior to making your ultimate choice, use the following questions to see how your selection compares to the other schools.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the degree or certificate program as well as the school is accredited by a U.S. Department of Education acknowledged accrediting organization. Besides helping ensure that you obtain a premium education, it may help in obtaining financial aid or student loans, which are often not provided in Old Lyme CT for non-accredited schools.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing prerequisites for registered nurses vary from state to state. In all states, a passing score is required on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) in addition to graduation from an accredited school. Some states require a specified number of clinical hours be completed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s essential that the school you are enrolled in not only delivers an exceptional education, but also readies you to meet the minimum licensing requirements for Connecticut or the state where you will be working.
- Reputation. Check internet rating services to see what the evaluations are for each of the schools you are considering. Ask the accrediting agencies for their reviews too. Additionally, get in touch with the Connecticut school licensing authority to check out if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can speak with some Old Lyme CT healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their opinions are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the RN colleges you are looking at what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to complete their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were dissatisfied with the program and dropped out. It’s also essential that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only verify that the school has a favorable reputation within the Old Lyme CT healthcare community, but that it also has the network of relationships to assist students obtain a position.
- Internship Programs. The best way to acquire experience as a registered nurse is to work in a clinical setting. Virtually all nursing degree programs require a specified number of clinical hours be completed. A number of states have minimum clinical hour requirements for licensing too. Ask if the schools have a working relationship with Old Lyme CT hospitals, clinics or labs and assist with the placement of students in internships.
Evening RN Courses Old Lyme Connecticut
Choosing the right nursing degree program is arguably the most important phase to launching a new career in the medical care field. There are various factors that you must take into account when picking a nursing program. These aspects will be prioritized differently depending on your existing career goals, obligations, and financial situation. As we have stressed in this content, it is important that you pick a nursing college and a degree program that are both accredited and have exceptional reputations within the medical community. You originally came to this website due to your interest in Evening RN Courses and wanting more information on the topic Low Cost RN Schools Online.. However, by using our checklist of qualifying questions, you will be able to create a short list of schools to choose from so that you can make your final selection. And with the right degree and training, combined with your dedication and desire to succeed, you can become a practicing nurse in Old Lyme CT.
More Connecticut Nursing Locations
Old Lyme, Connecticut
Old Lyme is a coastal town in New London County, Connecticut, United States. The Main Street of the town, Lyme Street, is a historic district. The town has long been a popular summer resort and artists' colony. The town is named after Lyme Regis, England.
The US headquarters of Sennheiser is located in Old Lyme, as is Callaway Cars, the Florence Griswold Museum (including the Florence Griswold House), the Lyme Academy College of Fine Arts, and the Lyme Art Association. Old Lyme and its neighboring town Lyme are the namesake for Lyme disease.
Old Lyme is a community of about 7,600 permanent residents, in addition to several thousand seasonal vacationers who occupy a seaside community of summer residences. It is located on the east bank of the Connecticut River at its confluence with the Long Island Sound, across the river from Old Saybrook on the west bank. Numerous examples of Colonial and Federal architecture can be found throughout the town.
Business Results 1 - 10 of 8
Bing: Connecticut nursing schools Search results
School of Nursing | Undergraduate Catalog - University of Connecticut
This curriculum requires four academic years. The post baccalaureate program, CEIN/B.S., is a one-year program designed for individuals with baccalaureate degrees in other areas. The programs are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education and approved by the Connecticut State Board of Nurse Examiners.
Eastern Suffolk BOCES / Homepage - esboces.org
An educational cooperative of 51 Long Island school districts, providing educational leadership, instruction and support through quality, cost-effective instructional programs and shared services.
College Navigator - National Center for Education Statistics
College Navigator is a free consumer information tool designed to help students, parents, high school counselors, and others get information about over 7,000 postsecondary institutions in the United States - such as programs offered, retention and graduation rates, prices, aid available, degrees awarded, campus safety, and accreditation.
Password requirements: 6 to 30 characters long; ASCII characters only (characters found on a standard US keyboard); must contain at least 4 different symbols;
Middle School Associate Teacher - Humanities/Writing in Hillsborough ...
Avon, Connecticut NEW! NEW! Strength and Conditioning Coach. Providence High School Burbank, California NEW! NEW! Long-term substitute teacher for French (Grades 5-8) ... National Association of Independent Schools 1129 20th Street NW, Suite 800 Washington, DC 20036-3425 NAIS Office: (202) 973-9700 Bookstore: (240) 646-7052 Contact Us. Connect ...
Nursing Schools in South Carolina – 2022 Rankings
About Clemson University School of Nursing: Clemson University’s School of Nursing is not only one of the few nursing schools in South Carolina but just one of the16 throughout the U.S. to be honored by the National League for Nursing as a Center of Excellence in Nursing Education; Clemson has held this distinction since 2014. The school is known for its rigorous academic coursework and the ...
Connecticut Department of Public Health
COVID-19 Data for CT Public and Private K-12 Schools; CT COVID-19 Municipal Level Alerts; ... September 30, 2022: Temporary Nursing Service Agency; NEW: AUG. 2, 2022 - Launching into Healthy Learning, operational strategies for the start of the 2022-2023 school year ... Connecticut Department of Public Health reminds parents of the importance ...
Nursing Schools in New York – 2022 Rankings - Nursingprocess.org
About Wegmans School of Nursing: In 1943, three colleges in New York’s Finger Lakes district banded together to offer nursing training for prospective members of the Army Cadet Nurse Corps. That program was the genesis of the nursing education now offered by the Wegmans School of Nursing at St. John Fisher College. Though today St. John Fisher is an independent college, its nursing school ...
Nursing Schools Without Prerequisites - Nursing Schools Guide
In order to qualify for accreditation from the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education or the National League for Nursing Commission for Nursing Education Accreditation (), nursing schools must adhere to certain curriculum standards.In addition to nursing classes, these curriculum standards include classes in the sciences, math, and liberal arts.
List of nursing schools in the United States - Wikipedia
This is a list of nursing schools in the United States of America, sorted by state. A nursing school is a school that teaches people how to be nurses ... Connecticut. American National University, eUniversity Connecticut; Central Connecticut State University, New Britain;