How to Select an Accredited RN Training Program near Hawthorne California
Selecting the right nursing school near Hawthorne CA may seem like a complicated endeavor, especially if you aren’t sure what to look for in a good degree program. As you may already understand, in order to practice as a registered nurse, you must receive the necessary education and training to become licensed. So it is vitally important that you study and assess the qualifications of each school you are thinking about before enrolling in your ultimate selection. The fact is, too many potential students base their decision solely on the price of tuition and the proximity of the school. Going with the least expensive school or the one that is nearest to your house is most likely not the most ideal way to choose a nursing program. There are a number of important additional aspects to check into before you make a decision where to enroll in classes. But before we explore that checklist, let’s first look at the nursing degree choices that are offered together with what the functions of nurses are in our healthcare system.
Request Free Information on Nursing Schools Below
There are several degree options offered to become a nurse. And in order to become a Registered Nurse (RN), a student must attend an accredited school and program. A nursing student can earn a qualifying degree in as little as 2 years, or advance to earn a graduate degree for a total of six years. Following are some short summaries of the nursing degrees that are offered to aspiring students in the Hawthorne CA area.
- Associates Degree. The Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) is commonly a two year program made available by community colleges. It readies graduates for an entry level position in nursing in medical facilities including hospitals, clinics or nursing homes. Many utilize the ADN as an entry into nursing and afterwards earn a more advanced degree.
- Bachelor’s Degree. The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) provides more comprehensive training than the ADN. It is commonly a four year program offered at colleges and universities. Licensed RNs may be able to complete an accelerated program based on their previous training or degree and professional experience (RN to BSN). Those applying to the program may want to progress to a clinical or administrative position, or be more competitive in the job market.
- Master’s Degree. The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) is commonly a 2 year program after obtaining the BSN. The MSN program provides specialization training, for example to become a nurse practitioner or concentrate on administration, management or teaching.
After a graduating student has acquired one of the above degrees, she or he must pass the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) so as to become licensed. Other requirements for licensing fluctuate from state to state, so don’t forget to check with the California board of nursing for any state requirements.
Why Choose Nursing as a Career?
Nurses are an indispensable part of a Hawthorne CA medical team, and for a number of patients, their primary care providers. A nursing career opens doors to many opportunities, including research, health care education and specialty areas of practice. Nurses go into the profession for several reasons, the most meaningful are its personal and practical advantages. Nurses provide personal, one-on-one care to patients. Many individuals in a medical facility or home care setting spend more time with nurses than with physicians. Nurses frequently go into the profession due to a passion to tend to the needs of patients, including in instances of short-term treatment of illness and long-term care of chronic conditions. This humanistic aspect of the healthcare profession, as opposed to the analytical or research related aspects, is appealing to many who elect to pursue a career in nursing. Nurses have a wide range of applicable skills and can choose from an assortment of work environments, including home care facilities, physician’s offices, medical clinics, community centers and hospitals. Also, nurses can advance into a number of specializations, such as addictions, critical care, genetics and neonatology. Although many nurses deliver direct patient care, others opt to be teachers, policy advisers or pharmaceutical representatives.
Registered Nurse Job Responsibilities
Registered nurses are the most extensive occupation in the healthcare delivery system. RNs practice in numerous different medical settings, namely Hawthorne CA hospitals, private practices, outpatient clinics, nursing homes and even schools. Their primary job is to support doctors in the care of their patients. Having said that, the particular duties of a registered nurse will depend on their job or specialization along with where they work. Some of the responsibilities of an RN may include:
- Providing medications
- Monitoring patients
- Performing physical examinations
- Managing care
- Supervising LPNs, LVNs and nurse aides
- Informing patients and their families
- Keeping health records and charts
Nurses with a more advanced degree may have more high level job duties and responsibilities. Nurse practitioners (NP), for example, must hold a Master’s Degree and generally work more independently than their RN counterparts. They can deliver primary or specialty care services, prescribe medications, and diagnose and treat common illnesses or injuries.
Nursing Online Degrees
Enrolling in nursing schools online is growing into a more favored way to receive instruction and attain a nursing degree. Certain schools will require attendance on campus for a component of the training, and virtually all programs require a specific amount of clinical rotation hours conducted in a local healthcare center. But since the remainder of the training can be accessed online, this option may be a more accommodating solution to finding the time to attend college for some Hawthorne CA students. Regarding tuition, a number of online degree programs are cheaper than other on campus options. Even other expenses such as for commuting and study materials can be reduced, helping to make education more affordable. And a large number of online programs are accredited by organizations like the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) for BSN and MSN degrees. And so if your work and household commitments have left you with very little time to work toward your academic goals, perhaps an online nursing school will make it easier to fit a degree into your hectic schedule.
Things to Ask Nursing Degree Programs
Now that you have decided on which nursing degree to pursue, and if to attend your classes on campus near Hawthorne CA or online, you can utilize the following pointers to begin narrowing down your options. As you no doubt realize, there are numerous nursing schools and colleges within California and the United States. So it is necessary to decrease the number of schools to choose from in order that you will have a manageable list. As we already discussed, the location of the school and the expense of tuition are most likely going to be the first two things that you will look at. But as we also stressed, they should not be your only qualifiers. So prior to making your final choice, use the following questions to see how your selection measures up to the other programs.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the degree or certificate program along with the school is accredited by a U.S. Department of Education acknowledged accrediting organization. Besides helping confirm that you receive an excellent education, it may help in acquiring financial aid or student loans, which are oftentimes not available in Hawthorne CA for non-accredited schools.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing criteria for registered nurses vary from state to state. In all states, a passing score is required on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) together with graduation from an accredited school. Many states require a specific number of clinical hours be performed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s important that the school you are enrolled in not only delivers a top-notch education, but also prepares you to satisfy the minimum licensing requirements for California or the state where you will be practicing.
- Reputation. Visit online rating companies to see what the evaluations are for all of the schools you are considering. Ask the accrediting agencies for their reviews also. In addition, get in touch with the California school licensing authority to check out if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can speak with some Hawthorne CA healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their judgments are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the RN schools you are looking at what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to complete their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were displeased with the program and dropped out. It’s also essential that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only verify that the school has a favorable reputation within the Hawthorne CA healthcare community, but that it also has the network of contacts to help students attain employment.
- Internship Programs. The best way to acquire experience as a registered nurse is to work in a clinical setting. Essentially all nursing degree programs require a certain number of clinical hours be completed. Many states have minimum clinical hour mandates for licensing also. Ask if the schools have a working relationship with Hawthorne CA hospitals, clinics or labs and assist with the placing of students in internships.
Nursing Online Degree Hawthorne California
Deciding on the right nursing degree program is arguably the most critical phase to starting a new career in the medical care field. There are numerous variables that you should think about when deciding on a nursing school. These variables will be prioritized differently depending on your current career goals, obligations, and financial status. As we have emphasized within this post, it is essential that you pick a nursing school and a degree program that are each accredited and have exceptional reputations within the medical community. You originally came to this website due to your interest in Nursing Online Degree and wanting more information on the topic Masters Degree In Nursing Online.. However, by using our checklist of qualifying questions, you will be able to produce a short list of schools to select from so that you can make your final selection. And with the right degree and training, combined with your dedication and desire to succeed, you can become a practicing nurse in Hawthorne CA.
More California Nursing Locations
The city was founded in 1905 as the "Hawthorne Improvement Company" by B.L. Harding and H.D. Lombard. Harding's daughter shared her birthday—the 4th of July, American Independence Day—with New England author Nathaniel Hawthorne, and a decision was made to name the city after him.
To the north of Hawthorne is the unincorporated community of Lennox and the city of Inglewood. To the east is the unincorporated community of Athens and the city of Gardena. To the south is the unincorporated community of El Camino Village, and the cities of Lawndale and Redondo Beach. Manhattan Beach is at the southwest corner of Hawthorne. To the west is the city of El Segundo and the Los Angeles neighborhood of Westchester is to the northwest of Hawthorne. The unincorporated community of Del Aire is surrounded on three sides by the city of Hawthorne along western edge of Hawthorne.
The Century Freeway (Glenn Anderson Freeway, I-105) runs along the northern boundary of Hawthorne, with the LACMTA Green Line light rail line running down the center of the Century Freeway. The San Diego Freeway (I-405) runs along the western boundary of Hawthorne. Major east–west streets in Hawthorne include Rosecrans Avenue, El Segundo Boulevard, and Imperial Highway. Major north–south streets include Aviation Boulevard, Inglewood Avenue, Hawthorne Boulevard, Prairie Avenue, Crenshaw Boulevard, and Van Ness Avenue.
Business Results 1 - 10 of 354
Bing: California nursing schools Search results
UCLA School of Nursing | UCLA School of Nursing
The UCLA School of Nursing prepares students to excel in patient care, research, education, and leadership. Its six academic programs are taught by nationally recognized faculty and...
2023 - Best Nursing Schools in California - RNCareers
With some of the best nursing schools in the nation, prospective nurses have many educational opportunities as well as competitive compensation, and a robust job market. Best Nursing Schools (BSN) in California Jump to a Best Ranked Nursing Programs California State University-Long Beach School of Nursing
10 Best Nursing Schools in California – 2023 Rankings
10 Best Nursing Schools in California – 2023 Rankings 1. University of California, Los Angeles About UCLA School of Nursing: The UCLA School of Nursing is celebrated both for... 2. University of San Francisco, San Francisco About School of Nursing and Health Professions: In 1948, the University ...
2022 Rankings: The 100 Best Nursing Schools in California
2022 Rankings: The 100 Best Nursing Schools in California For our 2022 rankings, the research team at Nursing Schools Almanac collected data on nearly 3,000 nursing schools and campuses throughout the United States. We evaluated each school on three dimensions: The institution’s academic prestige and perceived value
California Nursing Schools, Programs, and Careers ...
Redding has several high-quality nursing schools, including Simpson University, Shasta College, and Institute of Technology (IOT). Collectively, these schools offer programs for a wide breadth of nursing career paths. Learn about California nursing schools and specific programs such as LPN, ADN, and BSN. Includes a profile of nursing education ...
RN Programs - California Board of Registered Nursing
The Valley Foundation School of Nursing at San Jose State University: San Jose (408) 924-3131: ...
Nursing | University of California Health
University of California Schools of Nursing Want to improve patient care through community engagement, innovation and research? We’re ready for you. As the largest group of health care professionals in the United States, nurses are essential to providing high-quality patient care.
Academic Programs | UCLA School of Nursing
The UCLA School of Nursing has an option within the Master of Science in Nursing degree program that is designed to prepare individuals with a baccalaureate degree in another discipline for a career in nursing. This two-year pre-licensure program includes summer enrollment between the first and second years.
2024 Best Nursing Schools in California - Niche
2024 Best Colleges for Nursing in California West Coast University - Ontario. Junior: The school is quite well organized despite its size. West Coast is pricey, but... West Coast University - Los Angeles. Junior: West Coast excels in its attempt to get students in and out with a degree... Stanbridge ...
Steps to Become a CA RN - California Board of Registered Nursing
In California, there are three types of pre-licensure nursing programs, and two alternative routes to become a registered nurse: Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) Entry Level Masters Program in Nursing (ELM) LVN 30 Unit Option. Military Corpsmen.