How to Enroll In an Accredited RN Degree Program near Duarte California
Finding the right nursing college near Duarte CA may seem like a challenging project, especially if you aren’t sure what to look for in a good degree program. As you may already know, in order to practice as a registered nurse, you need to obtain the proper education and training in order to become licensed. So it is essential that you research and evaluate the qualifications of each school you are considering before enrolling in your final choice. Unfortunately, too many future students base their selection exclusively on the price of tuition and the nearness of the school. Going with the least costly program or the one that is local to your residence is most likely not the most ideal way to select a nursing program. There are various essential additional things to look into before you determine where to enroll in classes. But before we explore that checklist, let’s first review the nursing degree alternatives that are offered together with what the jobs of nurses are in our medical system.
Request Free Information on Nursing Schools Below
Nursing Degrees Available
There are multiple degrees offered to become a nurse. And to become a Registered Nurse (RN), a student must attend an accredited school and program. A nursing student can earn a qualifying degree in as little as two years, or advance to achieve a graduate degree for a total of 6 years. Following are some short summaries of the nursing degrees that are offered to aspiring students in the Duarte CA area.
- Associates Degree. The Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) is normally a two year program made available by community colleges. It preps graduates for an entry level job in nursing in healthcare centers including hospitals, clinics or nursing homes. Many utilize the ADN as an entry into nursing and afterwards earn a higher degree.
- Bachelor’s Degree. The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) offers more in depth training than the ADN. It is generally a four year program offered at colleges and universities. Licensed RNs may be able to complete an accelerated program based on their prior training or degree and professional experience (RN to BSN). Those applying to the program may desire to advance to a clinical or administrative position, or be more competitive in the employment market.
- Master’s Degree. The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) is generally a 2 year program after receiving the BSN. The MSN program provides specialization training, for example to become a nurse practitioner or concentrate on administration, management or teaching.
When a graduating student has obtained one of the above degrees, she or he must pass the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) in order to become licensed. Various other requirements for licensing vary from state to state, so be sure to contact the California board of nursing for any state requirements.
Why Enter the Nursing Profession?
Nurses are an integral component of a Duarte CA medical team, and for a large number of patients, their primary care providers. A nursing career can lead to a number of opportunities, such as healthcare education, research and specialty areas of practice. Nurses enter the profession for various reasons, among the most significant are its practical and personal advantages. Nurses provide personal, one-on-one care to patients. Many patients in a hospital or home care setting have more contact with nurses than with physicians. Nurses frequently go into the profession due to a desire to administer to the needs of patients, including in cases of short-term treatment of illness and long-term care of chronic ailments. This humanistic aspect of the healthcare profession, rather than the research or analytical related aspects, is appealing to many who decide to enter into a career in nursing. Nurses have a wide range of applicable skills and can choose from a variety of work environments, such as nursing homes, doctor’s offices, health clinics, community centers and hospitals. Also, nurses can advance into a number of specialties, such as substance addictions, critical care, genetics and neonatology. While most nurses deliver personal patient care, others opt to be educators, policy advisers or pharmaceutical representatives.
Registered Nurse Job Duties
Registered nurses are the largest occupation in the medical care delivery system. RNs practice in numerous different medical environments, such as Duarte CA hospitals, private practices, outpatient clinics, nursing homes and even schools. Their basic function is to support doctors in the treatment of their patients. However, the particular duties of a registered nurse will depend on their job or specialization as well as where they work. Some of the duties of an RN may include:
- Providing medications
- Overseeing patients
- Conducting physical examinations
- Managing care
- Managing LPNs, LVNs and nurse aides
- Educating patients and their families
- Managing health records and charts
Nurses with a more advanced degree may have more high level job duties and accountabilities. Nurse practitioners (NP), as an example, must hold a Master’s Degree and commonly work more independently than their RN counterparts. They can administer primary or specialty care services, prescribe medications, and diagnose and treat routine illnesses or injuries.
Online Nursing Schools
Attending nursing colleges online is becoming a more preferred way to receive instruction and attain a nursing degree. Some schools will require attending on campus for part of the training, and almost all programs require a specified amount of clinical rotation hours completed in a local healthcare center. But since the balance of the training can be accessed online, this alternative may be a more practical answer to finding the time to attend school for some Duarte CA students. Regarding tuition, some online degree programs are cheaper than other on campus alternatives. Even supplementary expenses such as for commuting and study materials can be reduced, helping to make education more affordable. And numerous online programs are accredited by organizations like the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) for BSN and MSN degrees. And so if your job and household obligations have left you with little time to work toward your academic goals, it could be that an online nursing program will make it easier to fit a degree into your hectic schedule.
What to Ask Nursing Schools
Once you have selected which nursing degree to enroll in, along with if to attend your classes on campus near Duarte CA or on the web, you can use the following pointers to start narrowing down your options. As you no doubt realize, there are many nursing schools and colleges within California and the United States. So it is important to lower the number of schools to choose from to ensure that you will have a manageable list. As we earlier discussed, the site of the school as well as the price of tuition are undoubtedly going to be the initial two things that you will take into consideration. But as we also stressed, they should not be your sole qualifiers. So prior to making your final selection, use the following questions to see how your pick measures up to the other programs.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the degree or certificate program as well as the school is accredited by a U.S. Department of Education acknowledged accrediting organization. Aside from helping verify that you receive a premium education, it may assist in acquiring financial aid or student loans, which are oftentimes not available in Duarte CA for non-accredited schools.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing prerequisites for registered nurses differ from state to state. In all states, a passing score is required on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) as well as graduation from an accredited school. Many states require a specific number of clinical hours be performed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s important that the school you are attending not only delivers an excellent education, but also readies you to comply with the minimum licensing requirements for California or the state where you will be practicing.
- Reputation. Visit internet rating services to see what the reviews are for each of the schools you are looking into. Ask the accrediting organizations for their reviews as well. In addition, get in touch with the California school licensing authority to find out if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can speak with some Duarte CA healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their assessments are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the RN programs you are looking at what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to complete their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were unhappy with the program and dropped out. It’s also essential that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only verify that the school has a favorable reputation within the Duarte CA healthcare community, but that it also has the network of contacts to help students gain a position.
- Internship Programs. The best way to acquire experience as a registered nurse is to work in a clinical environment. Virtually all nursing degree programs require a specific number of clinical hours be completed. A number of states have minimum clinical hour prerequisites for licensing as well. Find out if the schools have associations with Duarte CA hospitals, clinics or labs and assist with the placing of students in internships.
Online Nursing Degree Programs Duarte California
Picking the ideal nursing college is arguably the most important first step to starting a new career in the medical care field. There are many aspects that you need to consider when deciding on a nursing college. These variables will be prioritized differently depending on your existing career objectives, obligations, and economic situation. As we have stressed in this post, it is critical that you pick a nursing school and a degree program that are each accredited and have outstanding reputations within the health care community. You originally came to this website due to your interest in Online Nursing Degree Programs and wanting more information on the topic Online RN Degree.. However, by utilizing our checklist of qualifying questions, you will be able to create a shortlist of schools to pick from so that you can make your ultimate selection. And with the appropriate degree and training, combined with your dedication and desire to succeed, you can become a practicing nurse in Duarte CA.
More California Nursing Locations
It is bounded to the north by the San Gabriel Mountains, to the north and west by the cities of Bradbury and Monrovia, to the south by the city of Irwindale, and to the east by the cities of Irwindale and Azusa.
Duarte is located on historic U.S. Route 66 which today follows Huntington Drive through the middle of the city. The town holds an annual Salute to Route 66 Parade on the third weekend in September on Huntington Drive.
The 2010 United States Census reported that Duarte had a population of 21,321. The population density was 3,186.8 people per square mile (1,230.4/km²). The racial makeup of Duarte was 11,076 (51.9%) White (26.9% Non-Hispanic White), 1,587 (7.4%) African American, 179 (0.8%) Native American, 3,361 (15.8%) Asian, 26 (0.1%) Pacific Islander, 4,108 (19.3%) from other races, and 984 (4.6%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 10,190 persons (47.8%).
Business Results 1 - 10 of 332
Bing: California nursing schools Search results
2024 Best Nursing Schools in California - Niche
2024 Best Colleges for Nursing in California West Coast University - Ontario. Freshman: I have barely started at this school but so far the environment has been so... West Coast University - Los Angeles. Graduate Student: West Coast University's Bachelor of Science in Nursing program is... ...
2024 Rankings: The 100 Best Nursing Schools in California
2024 Rankings: The 100 Best Nursing Schools in California #1: University of California, San Francisco. Over the past decade, the UCSF School of Nursing has received more research... #2: University of California, Los Angeles. The UCLA School of Nursing has earned numerous national accolades. U.S. ...
Steps to Become a CA RN - California Board of Registered Nursing
Request a BRN Speaker Careers in Nursing Submit Feedback About the Board BRN Job Announcements Applicants Licensure by Examination Licensure by Endorsement Application Status and Details Temporary License Information Advanced Practice and PHN Certification Reinstatement of a Lapsed License Fingerprint Information Applicant Enforcement Webinar
Best Nursing Schools in California - ADN, BSN, MSN - RN Programs
Cities in California. San Diego Nursing Schools; Sacramento Nursing Schools; San Francisco ...
California's Top Nursing Schools & Programs | NurseJournal
#1 The Top Nursing Schools in California University of California-Los Angeles Los Angeles, CA 4 years Online + Campus The University of California, Los Angeles offers several undergraduate and graduate programs for experienced RNs. The programs train nurses to address the healthcare needs of diverse populations.
RN Programs - California Board of Registered Nursing
University of California, Davis - Betty Irene Moore School of Nursing: Sacramento (916) ...
10 Best Nursing Schools in California – 2024 Rankings
10 Best Nursing Schools in California – 2024 Rankings 1. University of California, Los Angeles About UCLA School of Nursing: The UCLA School of Nursing is celebrated both for... 2. University of San Francisco, San Francisco About School of Nursing and Health Professions: In 1948, the University ...
Academic Programs | UCLA School of Nursing
The School of Nursing offers a two-year course of graduate study leading to the Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) designed to prepare registered nurses with a bachelor's degree in nursing for advanced practice. ... All programs of study are approved by the Academic Senate of the University of California and the California Board of Registered ...
Bachelor of Science | UCLA School of Nursing
Graduates of the BS program are eligible to take the National Council Licensing Examination (NCLEX) to be licensed as a registered nurse (RN) and may apply for the Public Health Nursing Certificate from the California Board of Registered Nursing. The BS program is a UCLA-certified capstone major.
Top 10 Best Nursing Schools in California 2024 | Nurse.org
1. California State University, Bakersfield Annual In-State Tuition: $15,400 | Annual Out-of-State Tuition: $34,408 |... 2. California State University, Fullerton Annual In-State Tuition: $7,078.34 | NCLEX Pass Rate: 98.67% Traditional:... 3. University of California, Irvine Annual In-State ...