How to Pick an Accredited Nursing Degree Program near Brookdale California
Choosing the best nursing school near Brookdale CA may feel like a complex endeavor, especially if you don’t know what to search for in a good degree program. As you may already know, in order to practice as a registered nurse, you need to obtain the proper education and training to become licensed. So it is vitally important that you study and determine the qualifications of each college you are thinking about before enrolling in your final choice. The fact is, too many prospective students base their selection entirely on the price of tuition and the nearness of the school. Going with the least expensive school or the one that is closest to your residence is undoubtedly not the most ideal way to select a nursing program. There are various key additional factors to explore before you make a decision where to enroll in classes. But before we explore that checklist, let’s first look at the nursing degree options that are offered along with what the jobs of nurses are in our health system.
Request Free Information on Nursing Schools Below
There are multiple degrees offered to become a nurse. And in order to become a Registered Nurse (RN), a student must enroll in an accredited school and program. A nursing student can earn a qualifying degree in just two years, or continue on to earn a graduate degree for a total of six years. Following are some brief explanations of the nursing degrees that are available to aspiring students in the Brookdale CA area.
- Associates Degree. The Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) is typically a 2 year program offered by community colleges. It prepares graduates for an entry level position in nursing in medical facilities including hospitals, clinics or nursing homes. Many use the ADN as an entry into nursing and later obtain a higher degree.
- Bachelor’s Degree. The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) offers more expansive training than the ADN. It is commonly a four year program offered at colleges and universities. Licensed RNs may be eligible to complete an accelerated program based on their past training or degree and professional experience (RN to BSN). Those applying to the program might want to progress to a clinical or administrative position, or be more competitive in the employment market.
- Master’s Degree. The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) is commonly a 2 year program after achieving the BSN. The MSN program provides specialization training, for instance to become a nurse practitioner or focus on administration, management or teaching.
When a graduating student has attained one of the above degrees, he or she must pass the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) in order to become licensed. Additional requirements for licensing can vary from state to state, so don’t forget to check with the California board of nursing for any state requirements.
Why Choose the Nursing Profession?
Nurses are an indispensable part of a Brookdale CA medical team, and for a large number of patients, their primary care providers. A career in nursing can lead to a number of opportunities, such as healthcare education, research and specialty areas of practice. Nurses go into the profession for many reasons, the most significant are its practical and personal rewards. Nurses provide direct, one-on-one care to patients. Many patients in a hospital or home care environment spend more time with nurses than with doctors. Nurses frequently go into the profession due to a desire to administer to the needs of patients, including in cases of short-term treatment of illness and extended care of chronic conditions. This human aspect of the health profession, as opposed to the analytical or research related aspects, is appealing to many who choose to enter into a career in nursing. Nurses have extensive applicable skills and can choose from a number of work environments, including nursing homes, doctor’s offices, health clinics, community centers and hospitals. Also, nurses can progress into a variety of specializations, such as substance addictions, critical care, genetics and neonatology. While many nurses provide personal patient care, others choose to be educators, policy consultants or pharmaceutical representatives.
Registered Nurse Job Functions
Registered nurses are the most significant occupation in the healthcare delivery system. RNs practice in a large number of different medical environments, namely Brookdale CA hospitals, family practices, outpatient clinics, nursing homes and even schools. Their primary job is to aid doctors in the care of their patients. However, the particular duties of a registered nurse will depend on their job or area of expertise along with where they work. A portion of the duties of an RN may include:
- Administering medications
- Observing patients
- Performing physical examinations
- Managing care
- Managing LPNs, LVNs and nurse aides
- Informing patients and their families
- Managing health records and charts
Nurses with a higher degree may have more complex job duties and accountabilities. Nurse practitioners (NP), for instance, must hold a Master’s Degree and normally work more independently than their RN counterparts. They can administer primary or specialty care services, prescribe medications, and diagnose and treat common illnesses or injuries.
Nursing Online Schools
Enrolling in nursing schools online is growing into a more in demand way to obtain instruction and attain a nursing degree. Certain schools will require attendance on campus for a component of the training, and virtually all programs require a specific number of clinical rotation hours completed in a local healthcare facility. But since the rest of the training may be accessed online, this alternative may be a more convenient solution to finding the free time to attend college for many Brookdale CA students. Concerning tuition, many online degree programs are cheaper than other on campus options. Even supplemental expenses such as for commuting and study materials can be minimized, helping to make education more economical. And many online programs are accredited by organizations like the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) for BSN and MSN degrees. So if your job and family obligations have left you with very little time to work toward your academic goals, maybe an online nursing program will make it more convenient to fit a degree into your hectic schedule.
Questions to Ask Nursing Programs
Now that you have chosen which nursing program to enroll in, along with whether to attend your classes on campus near Brookdale CA or on the web, you can utilize the following pointers to start narrowing down your options. As you undoubtedly are aware, there are a large number of nursing schools and colleges within California and the United States. So it is important to lower the number of schools to choose from in order that you will have a workable list. As we already discussed, the site of the school along with the price of tuition are undoubtedly going to be the primary two points that you will take into consideration. But as we also stressed, they should not be your sole qualifiers. So prior to making your final choice, use the following questions to see how your pick measures up to the other schools.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the degree or certificate program along with the school is accredited by a U.S. Department of Education recognized accrediting agency. Aside from helping confirm that you receive a premium education, it may help in securing financial aid or student loans, which are often not available in Brookdale CA for non-accredited schools.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing criteria for registered nurses differ from state to state. In all states, a passing score is required on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) together with graduation from an accredited school. Some states require a specified number of clinical hours be performed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s essential that the school you are attending not only delivers an exceptional education, but also readies you to satisfy the minimum licensing requirements for California or the state where you will be working.
- Reputation. Look at online rating companies to see what the assessments are for all of the schools you are looking into. Ask the accrediting organizations for their reviews also. In addition, get in touch with the California school licensing authority to find out if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can contact some Brookdale CA healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their assessments are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the RN schools you are considering what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to complete their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were dissatisfied with the program and dropped out. It’s also essential that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only confirm that the school has a favorable reputation within the Brookdale CA medical community, but that it also has the network of contacts to help students gain employment.
- Internship Programs. The most effective way to acquire experience as a registered nurse is to work in a clinical setting. Almost all nursing degree programs require a specific number of clinical hours be completed. Many states have minimum clinical hour requirements for licensing too. Find out if the schools have associations with Brookdale CA hospitals, clinics or labs and assist with the positioning of students in internships.
Best RN Schools Online Brookdale California
Choosing the right nursing school is probably the most crucial first step to launching a new career in the healthcare industry. There are various aspects that you need to think about when picking a nursing school. These aspects will be prioritized differently depending on your existing career goals, obligations, and economic status. As we have emphasized in this post, it is important that you select a nursing school and a degree program that are both accredited and have outstanding reputations within the healthcare community. You originally came to this website due to your interest in Best RN Schools Online and wanting more information on the topic Registered Nurse Schools.. However, by using our checklist of qualifying questions, you will be able to create a shortlist of schools to select from so that you can make your final selection. And with the right degree and training, combined with your dedication and desire to succeed, you can become a practicing nurse in Brookdale CA.
More California Nursing Locations
Brookdale is a census-designated place (CDP) in Santa Cruz County, California. Brookdale sits at an elevation of 405 feet (123 m). It is located in the San Lorenzo Valley between Boulder Creek and Ben Lomond on Highway 9. The 2010 United States census reported Brookdale's population was 1,991.
This region experiences warm (but not hot) and dry summers, with no average monthly temperatures above 71.6 °F. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Brookdale has a warm-summer Mediterranean climate, abbreviated "Csb" on climate maps.
The area was previously known as Clear Creek and then Brookville, and was the site of the Grover Lumber Mill by 1870. Logging and lumber was the major industry throughout the Santa Cruz Mountains at the time. James Harvey Logan, a Santa Cruz judge and creator of the loganberry, purchased the mill in 1900, created a creekside resort with cabins and camping, and established the Brookdale post office in 1902.
Business Results 1 - 10 of 102
Bing: California nursing schools Search results
2024 Best Nursing Schools in California - Niche
2024 Best Colleges for Nursing in California West Coast University - Ontario. Freshman: I have barely started at this school but so far the environment has been so... West Coast University - Los Angeles. Graduate Student: West Coast University's Bachelor of Science in Nursing program is... ...
2024 Rankings: The 100 Best Nursing Schools in California
2024 Rankings: The 100 Best Nursing Schools in California #1: University of California, San Francisco. Over the past decade, the UCSF School of Nursing has received more research... #2: University of California, Los Angeles. The UCLA School of Nursing has earned numerous national accolades. U.S. ...
Steps to Become a CA RN - California Board of Registered Nursing
Request a BRN Speaker Careers in Nursing Submit Feedback About the Board BRN Job Announcements Applicants Licensure by Examination Licensure by Endorsement Application Status and Details Temporary License Information Advanced Practice and PHN Certification Reinstatement of a Lapsed License Fingerprint Information Applicant Enforcement Webinar
Best Nursing Schools in California - ADN, BSN, MSN - RN Programs
Cities in California. San Diego Nursing Schools; Sacramento Nursing Schools; San Francisco ...
California's Top Nursing Schools & Programs | NurseJournal
#1 The Top Nursing Schools in California University of California-Los Angeles Los Angeles, CA 4 years Online + Campus The University of California, Los Angeles offers several undergraduate and graduate programs for experienced RNs. The programs train nurses to address the healthcare needs of diverse populations.
RN Programs - California Board of Registered Nursing
University of California, Davis - Betty Irene Moore School of Nursing: Sacramento (916) ...
10 Best Nursing Schools in California – 2024 Rankings
10 Best Nursing Schools in California – 2024 Rankings 1. University of California, Los Angeles About UCLA School of Nursing: The UCLA School of Nursing is celebrated both for... 2. University of San Francisco, San Francisco About School of Nursing and Health Professions: In 1948, the University ...
Academic Programs | UCLA School of Nursing
The School of Nursing offers a two-year course of graduate study leading to the Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) designed to prepare registered nurses with a bachelor's degree in nursing for advanced practice. ... All programs of study are approved by the Academic Senate of the University of California and the California Board of Registered ...
Bachelor of Science | UCLA School of Nursing
Graduates of the BS program are eligible to take the National Council Licensing Examination (NCLEX) to be licensed as a registered nurse (RN) and may apply for the Public Health Nursing Certificate from the California Board of Registered Nursing. The BS program is a UCLA-certified capstone major.
Top 10 Best Nursing Schools in California 2024 | Nurse.org
1. California State University, Bakersfield Annual In-State Tuition: $15,400 | Annual Out-of-State Tuition: $34,408 |... 2. California State University, Fullerton Annual In-State Tuition: $7,078.34 | NCLEX Pass Rate: 98.67% Traditional:... 3. University of California, Irvine Annual In-State ...