How to Select the Best RN Program near Bakersfield California
Locating the best nursing program near Bakersfield CA may feel like a formidable project, especially if you don’t know what to search for in a good degree program. As you may presently know, for you to practice as a registered nurse, you must acquire the necessary education and training in order to become licensed. So it is essential that you research and assess the qualifications of each program you are considering before enrolling in your ultimate selection. Regrettably, too many potential students base their decision entirely on the price of tuition and the distance of the school. Picking the least costly school or the one that is nearest to your residence is most likely not the most reliable way to choose a nursing program. There are various essential additional factors to explore before you make a decision where to enroll in classes. But before we delve into that checklist, let’s first review the nursing degree alternatives that are offered along with what the functions of nurses are in our medical system.
Request Free Information on Nursing Schools Below
Nursing Degree Options
There is more than one degree option offered to become a nurse. And to become a Registered Nurse (RN), a student must enroll in an accredited school and program. A nursing student can earn a qualifying degree in as little as two years, or advance to achieve a graduate degree for a total of six years. Following are some short descriptions of the nursing degrees that are offered to aspiring students in the Bakersfield CA area.
- Associates Degree. The Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) is typically a 2 year program offered by community colleges. It preps graduates for an entry level position in nursing in healthcare facilities including hospitals, clinics or nursing homes. Many use the ADN as an entry into nursing and ultimately attain a higher degree.
- Bachelor’s Degree. The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) provides more in depth training than the ADN. It is generally a four year program offered at colleges and universities. Licensed RNs may be eligible to complete an accelerated program based on their prior training or degree and professional experience (RN to BSN). Those applying to the program might desire to progress to a clinical or administrative position, or be more competitive in the employment market.
- Master’s Degree. The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) is usually a two year program after achieving the BSN. The MSN program provides specialization training, for instance to become a nurse practitioner or concentrate on administration, management or teaching.
Once a graduating student has received one of the above degrees, he or she must pass the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) to become licensed. Other requirements for licensing change from state to state, so make sure to get in touch with the California board of nursing for any state requirements.
Why Become a Nurse?
Nurses are an essential part of a Bakersfield CA medical team, and for a large number of patients, their primary care providers. A nursing career opens doors to a number of opportunities, including research, health care education and specialty areas of practice. Nurses enter the profession for many reasons, among the most meaningful are its personal and practical advantages. Nurses provide direct, one-on-one care to patients. Most individuals in a hospital or home care environment spend more time with nurses than with doctors. Nurses often go into the profession out of a desire to administer to the needs of patients, including in situations of short-term treatment of illness and prolonged care of chronic ailments. This humanistic side of the healthcare profession, as opposed to the research or analytical related elements, is attractive to many who decide to pursue a nursing career. Nurses have a wide range of applicable skills and can select from an assortment of work settings, such as home care facilities, physician’s offices, health clinics, community centers and hospitals. Also, nurses can progress into a number of specialties, such as substance addictions, critical care, neonatology and genetics. While many nurses provide primary patient care, others choose to be educators, policy advisers or pharmaceutical representatives.
Registered Nurse Job Functions
Registered nurses are the most significant occupation in the medical delivery system. RNs practice in numerous different medical environments, such as Bakersfield CA hospitals, private practices, outpatient clinics, nursing homes and even schools. Their primary role is to support doctors in the treatment of their patients. However, the exact duties of a registered nurse will be dependent on their job or specialization in addition to where they work. Some of the functions of an RN may include:
- Administering medications
- Overseeing patients
- Conducting physical examinations
- Managing care
- Managing LPNs, LVNs and nurse aides
- Informing patients and their families
- Keeping health records and charts
Nurses with a more advanced degree may have more advanced job duties and accountabilities. Nurse practitioners (NP), for example, must hold a Master’s Degree and commonly work more independently than their RN counterparts. They can provide primary or specialty care services, prescribe medications, and diagnose and treat basic illnesses or injuries.
Online Nursing Programs
Enrolling in nursing schools online is becoming a more in demand way to get training and attain a nursing degree. Many schools will require attending on campus for a component of the training, and almost all programs require a specific amount of clinical rotation hours carried out in a local healthcare facility. But since the remainder of the training can be accessed online, this alternative may be a more practical solution to finding the free time to attend college for some Bakersfield CA students. Pertaining to tuition, many online degree programs are less expensive than other on campus options. Even other expenses such as for commuting and study materials may be minimized, helping to make education more economical. And a large number of online programs are accredited by organizations like the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) for BSN and MSN degrees. And so if your work and family responsibilities have left you with little time to pursue your academic goals, maybe an online nursing training program will make it more convenient to fit a degree into your hectic schedule.
What to Ask Nursing Schools
Now that you have determined which nursing program to enroll in, along with whether to attend your classes on campus near Bakersfield CA or online, you can utilize the following pointers to begin narrowing down your options. As you no doubt are aware, there are a large number of nursing schools and colleges within California and the United States. So it is necessary to reduce the number of schools to select from so that you will have a workable list. As we earlier discussed, the location of the school as well as the cost of tuition are most likely going to be the primary two things that you will consider. But as we also emphasized, they should not be your only qualifiers. So before making your final decision, use the following questions to see how your selection measures up to the field.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the degree or certificate program along with the school is accredited by a U.S. Department of Education acknowledged accrediting organization. Besides helping make sure that you get an excellent education, it may help in obtaining financial aid or student loans, which are frequently not provided in Bakersfield CA for non-accredited schools.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing prerequisites for registered nurses vary from state to state. In all states, a passing score is needed on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) along with graduation from an accredited school. Certain states require a certain number of clinical hours be completed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s essential that the school you are attending not only provides an exceptional education, but also readies you to satisfy the minimum licensing standards for California or the state where you will be practicing.
- Reputation. Look at internet rating companies to see what the assessments are for each of the schools you are looking into. Ask the accrediting organizations for their reviews too. Also, check with the California school licensing authority to find out if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can call some Bakersfield CA healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their judgments are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the RN programs you are looking at what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to finish their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were unhappy with the program and dropped out. It’s also essential that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only substantiate that the school has a favorable reputation within the Bakersfield CA medical community, but that it also has the network of contacts to help students obtain a position.
- Internship Programs. The best way to get experience as a registered nurse is to work in a clinical setting. Almost all nursing degree programs require a specified number of clinical hours be completed. A number of states have minimum clinical hour requirements for licensing too. Check if the schools have associations with Bakersfield CA hospitals, clinics or labs and help with the positioning of students in internships.
Requirements for RN Schools Online Bakersfield California
Choosing the right nursing degree program is arguably the most critical phase to starting a new career in the medical care field. There are various variables that you must consider when picking a nursing college. These aspects will be prioritized differently contingent on your current career objectives, obligations, and financial situation. As we have emphasized within this post, it is important that you pick a nursing college and a degree program that are each accredited and have exceptional reputations within the healthcare community. You originally came to this website due to your interest in Requirements for RN Schools Online and wanting more information on the topic Accredited RN Courses Online.. However, by using our checklist of qualifying questions, you will be able to create a shortlist of schools to choose from so that you can make your ultimate selection. And with the right degree and training, combined with your dedication and desire to succeed, you can become a practicing nurse in Bakersfield CA.
More California Nursing Locations
Bakersfield is a city in and the county seat of Kern County, California, United States. It covers about 151 sq mi (390 km2) near the southern end of the San Joaquin Valley and the Central Valley region. Bakersfield's population is around 380,000, making it the 9th-most populous city in California and the 52nd-most populous city in the United States of America. The Bakersfield–Delano Metropolitan Statistical Area, which includes all of Kern County, had a 2010 census population of 839,631, making it the 62nd-largest metropolitan area in the United States. The more built-up urban area that includes Bakersfield and areas immediately around the city, such as East Bakersfield, Oildale and Rosedale, has a population of over 520,000. Bakersfield is a charter city.
The city is a significant hub for both agriculture and energy production. Kern County is the most productive oil-producing county and the fourth-most productive agricultural county (by value) in the United States. Industries include natural gas and other energy extraction, aerospace, mining, petroleum refining, manufacturing, distribution, food processing, and corporate regional offices. The city is also the birthplace of the country music genre known as the Bakersfield sound.
Archaeological evidence indicates the presence of Native American settlements dating back thousands of years. Upon Spanish arrival, present-day Bakersfield was inhabited by the Yowlumne, a Yokuts people. Yowlumne accounts indicate that the village of Woilu was situated in the bounds of the present city.
Business Results 1 - 10 of 11
Bing: California nursing schools Search results
UCLA School of Nursing | UCLA School of Nursing
The UCLA School of Nursing prepares students to excel in patient care, research, education, and leadership. Its six academic programs are taught by nationally recognized faculty and...
2023 - Best Nursing Schools in California - RNCareers
With some of the best nursing schools in the nation, prospective nurses have many educational opportunities as well as competitive compensation, and a robust job market. Best Nursing Schools (BSN) in California Jump to a Best Ranked Nursing Programs California State University-Long Beach School of Nursing
10 Best Nursing Schools in California – 2023 Rankings
10 Best Nursing Schools in California – 2023 Rankings 1. University of California, Los Angeles About UCLA School of Nursing: The UCLA School of Nursing is celebrated both for... 2. University of San Francisco, San Francisco About School of Nursing and Health Professions: In 1948, the University ...
2022 Rankings: The 100 Best Nursing Schools in California
2022 Rankings: The 100 Best Nursing Schools in California For our 2022 rankings, the research team at Nursing Schools Almanac collected data on nearly 3,000 nursing schools and campuses throughout the United States. We evaluated each school on three dimensions: The institution’s academic prestige and perceived value
California Nursing Schools, Programs, and Careers ...
Redding has several high-quality nursing schools, including Simpson University, Shasta College, and Institute of Technology (IOT). Collectively, these schools offer programs for a wide breadth of nursing career paths. Learn about California nursing schools and specific programs such as LPN, ADN, and BSN. Includes a profile of nursing education ...
RN Programs - California Board of Registered Nursing
The Valley Foundation School of Nursing at San Jose State University: San Jose (408) 924-3131: ...
Nursing | University of California Health
University of California Schools of Nursing Want to improve patient care through community engagement, innovation and research? We’re ready for you. As the largest group of health care professionals in the United States, nurses are essential to providing high-quality patient care.
Academic Programs | UCLA School of Nursing
The UCLA School of Nursing has an option within the Master of Science in Nursing degree program that is designed to prepare individuals with a baccalaureate degree in another discipline for a career in nursing. This two-year pre-licensure program includes summer enrollment between the first and second years.
2024 Best Nursing Schools in California - Niche
2024 Best Colleges for Nursing in California West Coast University - Ontario. Junior: The school is quite well organized despite its size. West Coast is pricey, but... West Coast University - Los Angeles. Junior: West Coast excels in its attempt to get students in and out with a degree... Stanbridge ...
Steps to Become a CA RN - California Board of Registered Nursing
In California, there are three types of pre-licensure nursing programs, and two alternative routes to become a registered nurse: Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) Entry Level Masters Program in Nursing (ELM) LVN 30 Unit Option. Military Corpsmen.